Peugeot pays tribute to the designer Sergio Pininfarina, the architect behind a stylistic collaboration and commercial success
- The Brand operation
Nicknamed "Pinin", Italian for "little one" Gian Batista Farina added this to his name, becoming known as Pininfarina. From the end of the 1940s, his son Sergio (born in 1926), came to help out at the family business, founded in Turin in 1930.
The coachbuilding workshop was transformed into a design office in 1936 and worked closely with a number of manufacturers.
The collaboration between Peugeot and Pininfarina started in 1951 and was consolidated by the 403 Saloon and its subsequent long wheelbase versions. This first success was followed by a long list of vehicles designed together: 404, 204 saloon and estate, 504 coupé and cabriolet, 104, 604, 505, 305, 205 cabriolet, 306 cabriolet and 406 coupé.
At the behest of Sergio, now President of the company, the design office was expanded to include a wind tunnel and a car production line. Among the vehicles to roll off it were: the 404 and 504 coupés and cabriolets, the 205 and 306 cabriolets and the 406 coupé.
All these cars bearing the mark of the Italian master coachbuilder remain classic Peugeot models.
There are also concept cars which illustrate this collaboration: the 104 Peugette, 205 estate, 504 estate Riviera, Nautilus.
Sergio Pininfarina worked for prestigious marques, his art was to never disguise the object and to always retain the manufacturer's identity. On his sketchpad, a Peugeot was rendered sublime, but it remained a Peugeot.